Sunday 22 July 2012

2012.07.19-21 - Big Dave is Back, Batman, Booze and Boating.

This week Friday was a difficult day. Picture the scene; awaking dehydrated, head banging, fully clothed (except for one shoe) and feeling like your insides have been through several blenders. You manage to force an eye open very slightly to check the time and its 08:23, work starts at 08:30 and that’s a 20-minute drive away. Oops!

Before your sorrow becomes unbearable I should probably confess; this was entirely self-inflicted due to the indulgences of Thursday night which was a work night out leaving do thing. This involved a meal at Zizzi’s sandwiched between (in my case too many) drinks. An enjoyable evening but I was one of 3 employees with apparently less sense than the majority and did not return home until…….I have no idea what time. Note to self: not on a school night.
We did however befriend some Romanian girls (?!) who were subjected to my constant attempts to speak to them in Spanish once I found out that they spoke it. Idiot. My recollection is that I was fluent and entirely charming…..hmm.

Friday evening we went to see ‘The Dark Knight Rises’ at Westfield cinema. Sensational. Kudos to all involved. Has Christopher Nolan actually made a bad film?  I asked Guy Pearce but he couldn't remember. I won’t go on about the plot etc due to the fact that I think seeing the film with almost no knowledge of what was coming probably made the experience better. I suspect that those who see it from now on will probably think less of the film than I did due to social networks, media, pubs and other areas of conversation and promulgation setting expectations high. It was not in 3D which was a nice change and would have been unnecessary (as is usually the case). the only down side - personally I thought Bane’s voice was annoying. People actually clapped at the end; this upset Fab. We waited until the end of the credits - do not do this, there is no more film (spoiler alert).
Tags: Gibbo, Bendtner, Fab, Paddy
Highlights: Patrick’s loud and protracted outburst before the film about the choice to sit on the back row too near the side. The film. Arriving early actually turning out to be justified (the queue got massive). Simultaneous Zach Schneider noises.
Low-lights: sitting on the back row too near the side, getting in late after feeling like crap all day and no sleep the night before (the film didn’t end until about 2), losing £1 on a bet over whether the screen size would increase (it did, kind of).
Lessons learnt: Tom hardy is a beast, Nolan is a hero, people go nuts for batman but shouldn't clap at the end of films, Bale's batman sounds like the old Wall's sausages advert.

Saturday for what felt like the first time in ‘summer’ 2012 it actually stopped raining and the sun even came out. Wooho. What do people do in Derby when the sun comes out? Go to Markeaton Park! Rock & roll eh?
Highlights: Wandering around aimlessly in the sun, messing about on the river, Bassi getting egged on by an old man in a mobility scooter after refusing to come on the river.
Lessons learnt; Jenny has a low tolerance for sun (lobster mode). Pedal-os are better when the 2 participants are of similar weight (see photo/video). Remote-control boat drivers are strange, moor hens have a boost function.
Tags: Big Dave, Teen Wolf, Digger, Take Over, Fab, Ballie

Saturday night involved the second jaunt into town of the week. Big Dave isn’t around much any more so one has to attempt to make the most of him I am sure you agree. I didn’t feel too great after Thursday so had the intention of not drinking much but when a teen wolf returns from the bar with a massive fish bowl to himself there is little choice! Dancing to terrible pop in scream was the order of the night. Fun fun fun. You can see below some graphs summarising my night.
I am sure there is plenty I have forgotten although one thing I do remember is that after everybody else (I think) had gone home Patrick's magic moves meant success with his friend’s-girlfriend’s-friend (see below artist’s impression as there is no photographic evidence). I hope further details on this will become available.

I, despite encouragement and complementation from PH, deployed the usual frightened school boy routine and failed to properly attempt at doing likewise with his friend's-girlfriend’s-other-friend (who despite being attractive, I don’t think was particularly interested anyway (although with these statements bear in mind the graphs)). 

Highlights: Teen Wolf with a fish bowl, crazy dancing, pre-game & pizzas in the garden, Paddy smashing it, the group photo (whoever has this please upload), Ballie in Paddy’s jacket,
Lessons Learnt: Too many people wore red trousers (myself included). Procrastination is ineffective. Wearing Jonny's sunglasses in the dark is not a good look (see picture), we collectively piss too much money up the wall, Big Dave doesn’t agree with capitalist society but doesn’t have a better idea……(yet), he does however own a cat.

Tags: Fab, KV, James, Ballie, Paddy, Big Dave, Bendtner, Gibbo, Digger, Teen wolf, Predator Peck.

Dave – Come back soon. My theory is your likeness to the sun lolly man has an influence on the weather and the standard of nights out.

1 comment:

  1. This is amazing!! I have the group photo i'll get it to you so you can share. Digger

    ReplyDelete